Wenda's Fashion Blog
Who doesn't love a blog about the latest fashion trends, tips and tricks? Well I do! So enjoy this collection of posts from my columns on ITV Wales and Wales Online and ones which you'll only find here.< Back to Blog home page
Why is it that we Brits are never happy with the weather? It’s always too hot or too cold! But look on the bright side... we get guaranteed seasons, which means we often know exactly what our staple capsule wardrobes should contain throughout the year. Dresses, skirts, and sandals come out during spring/summer time and jackets, knitwear and boots come to the surface of our wardrobes in the colder months. Getting dressed when the temperature changes multiple times a day can be tricky - here's how to get the whole transeasonal look right.
The challenge therefore is knowing what to wear in transeasonal weather - it's time to get those wardrobes ready for Spring.
Here are some key ideas that I think are great for transeasonal fashion this Spring.
Swap Coats for Trenches
Pack away your heavy coats and invest in a light trench. It will be your all-weather saviour. Trenches have all the tailoring of your favourite winter coat without the extra weight. Slip it on over a dress or jeans and a t-shirt for an instantly pulled-together look.
Swap Dark for Light
Cream, pale grey and tan are great colour options for this time of year. The key to comfort is layering, so choose pieces that you can peel off and on. Try switching a black blazer for a neutral tone and layer it over a sleeveless shift or silk blouse to instantly freshen your outfit.
Swap Tights for a Tan
Time to lose the opaque tights. I know! Make the transition easier by using a fake tanner (the daily spray-on/wash-off blends are fantastic emergency options) or try a pair of new–season cropped, slim-fit trousers. This style looks best with a single-breasted blazer, silk blouse or mid-length trench. Dial up the colour with a pair in hot orange, fuchsia or cobalt blue.
Swap Boots for Sandals
Ankle boots without stockings work well with dresses all year round but it's time to swap heavier styles for peep-toe pumps or flat sandals. This means a pedicure. You can update your entire look with one of summers' hottest nail polish shades: neon yellow or pink, pale grey or creamy coffee.
Spring is a vital season for fashion. The time between winter and summer brings about a mishmash of clothes in our wardrobe, the cold weather clothes and the new warm weather clothes. During these erratic months the most effective way to dress is by layering.
Layering is key to successful transeasonal dressing
• Good Quality Camisoles: These can be worn under blouses or jackets on cooler days and also with shorts, crop or Capri pants on the warmer days.
• Basic Long sleeve tops: Worn on its own, with a vest for added warmth, or a short sleeved floral tunic.
• Cardigan or Bolero for extra warmth, or colour.
Wear all three for the ultimate layering experience! A camisole under a long sleeve top and a light bolero jacket, as the day gets warmer remove a layer and as the sun sets put a layer back on.
• Tailored Jacket: Introduce colour to the darker winter wardrobe by wearing a soft or bright coloured tailored jacket.
• Introduce pretty pastels or super bright colours.
• Combine prints and textures for the mix and match look
• Wear clothes that are easy take off and put back on weather dependant.
• Think, “How can I use this garment three different ways?”
• We are about to wear the open toed shoes, so remember to get that pedicure that has been put off all winter!
The key to Transeasonal Dressing is to be able to remix the same basic foundational pieces for layering to create different looks.