Wenda's Fashion Blog
Who doesn't love a blog about the latest fashion trends, tips and tricks? Well I do! So enjoy this collection of posts from my columns on ITV Wales and Wales Online and ones which you'll only find here.< Back to Blog home page
Look good in Leopard print!
Leopard is be one of the hottest animal prints for Autumn, but in order to stand out (in a good way); you have to know how to properly rock it. Animal prints can add a dash of colour and excitement to your wardrobe, and can look stylish when done the right way.
Animal print never goes out of fashion. In fact, every season and every year, you will see in the magazines, “Animal print is on trend!” But it’s the same print. If there’s anything new, it’s purely a matter of interpretation.
The question isn’t about “should you” or “should you not” own an animal print. Every fashionista must own at least a piece of this print be it a dress, a top, a pair of shoes, a scarf or a bag. The question therefore is – how do you make it right?
Here’s how to wear it well
1. Shoes - Slipping on a pair of leopard platform pumps or ankle boots is one of the sexiest ways to wear animal print. You’ll just want to pair them with a solid-colored dress (any color works!) or a pair of jeans with solid-colored top. Avoid wearing anything printed or extra loud so it won’t clash with your shoes.
2. Handbag - A simple way to add a touch of animal print to any outfit is with a leopard or cheetah handbag or clutch. You can easily replace your classic black tote or satchel with an animal print one. It’ll jazz up any outfit. Also, an animal print clutch is the perfect accessory for a night out on the town.
3. Scarf - The easiest way to rock animal print is with a scarf. If the scarf is cotton or chiffon, you could easily wear it with a neutral colored top or jacket. A silk animal print scarf is perfect to wear with a dress, or you can even be creative and wear it as a pretty headband. So if you are a little wary of this trend, this is a great way to ease yourself in gently.
4. Trouser’s - The trendiest way to rock animal print this season is with a knockout leopard jumpsuit, which is the perfect outfit for a date or girls’ night. If you don’t want to wear an all-over animal print, opt for trousers instead. You can choose from harem pants, leggings or even jeans depending on your personal preference. However, my favorite pick is a pair of leopard harem pants paired with a white tee and black boyfriend blazer.
5. Dress - Say goodbye to your LBD (little black dress) and hello to an animal print dress this season. They are everywhere from New Look to Karen Millen. So whatever your budget you will be able to find the statement dress for you. Just make sure your accessories are muted so you don’t take away from the main attraction: the dress. When you walk into the room (or club or wherever), all eyes will be on you.
6. Coat – A step too far for some? but for the true fashionista who really wants to make a statement, then the leopard print coat will certainly turn some heads this season. A great investment as the print is iconic and definitely here to stay. Try Biba’s faux fur coat, new in at House Of Fraser.
Tone it down
If you feel your outfit is too wild, try and tone it down. If you wear an animal print mini dress, you can tone it down by wearing a single-coloured-cardigan over the dress which color blends well with your wild print.
If you wear leopard print tights, for example, you can tone it down by wearing knee length boots in a colour that blends with the animal print in say taupe, chocolate or cream.
So if you feel like looking ‘wild’ this autumn / winter there definitely a leopard print out there for you.